Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Spice and herb madness in my kitchen:

Well I received my order from myspicesage yesterday - my hat's off to those fine folks in da Bronx; well packaged, complete (and correct) order, and they just seem like nice people.  I posted my order a week or so ago and I wanted to update and tell you guys what is new and exciting that I can't wait to try:

  • Ajwain seeds:  The seeds of a plant from the Near East, they are very similar to thyme or caraway.  I'm not sure what I am going to do with them yet but I think I might add them to couscous or any dish I would normally use thyme.
  • Aleppo chiles:  A capsicum named for the Syrian city it comes from.  It has a really delightful flavor and heat to it and will serve as a solid mid-tone for any chile mix I add it to.  Either that or it can stand alone, again with either poultry or couscous.
  • Aji Panca and Aji Amarillo: Peruvian chiles I have read about but haven't sampled yet.  Neither look or smell particularly dangerous but I have yet to cook with them.  The Amarillo almost has the look of ground mustard mixed with tumeric but the smell of neither.
  • Sun Dried Tomato Powder:  But Joshua, couldn't you have dried and powdered your own tomatoes.  Yes but I didn't so meh.  I plan to use this in my pasta sauce, my jambalaya, and my slow cooked pork.
  • Cacao Nibs:  Because I wanted them, plus they might make for some tasty mole.
More news to follow.  Hopefully I can get some pictures ASAP of the bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!