The First Power (1990) was one of those movies that scared the shit out of me when I first saw it in the early 90s (I think I saw it on UHF 62 as a double feature with Angel Heart one late Saturday night). It just recently came out on DVD and download for netflix and I watched it last night. The First Power is not a bad horror movie, though it is a Lou Diamond Phillips vehicle, and it's the only movie Robert Resnikoff directed. On the plus side it has a Stewart Copeland score, Jeff Kober, and some very good - though dated - humor. The First Power does not hold up as well as some its close contemporaries (i.e. Candyman (1992) ) but it's still worth watching again.
Max Payne (2008). The little engine that tried and failed...or more accurately "tried and died". I love Marky Mark and I love Marky Mark movies and I love Marco Beltrami and Marco Beltrami scores and I loved the Max Payne games but this was a walking botched abortion of a movie. Worse than crappy, it was boooorrrring. I paid for it so I refused to turn it off but bleh, for every one scene of "hey this kicks ass" there were forty scenes of nose picking. I almost wanted to open my bag of Skittles and start sorting them into color coded piles. The high point of the movie, Olga Kurylenko, who I think is the minxiest minx this side of Sherilyn Fenn or Jennifer Tilly, dies within fifteen minutes of her showing up on screen. Half Constantine, half Sin City - Max Payne delivers on neither. A waste of time and money and every actor that showed up in it. Gong!
Last night I cleaned out my misc quest queue except for a quest to fight a dragon in case someone comes over and wants to see me fight a dra...
You're probably wondering why I am doing a TV review post, or you might not be, *shrug*. As many of you regular readers may know (or RL...
One of our favorite scream queens here at HYR, Jamie Lee Curtis. Still one hell of a good looking woman, must be all that activia s...
Achtung! Spoilers! The long and short? If it hadn't been an addition to the Alien mythos it still would have been a very well poli...
Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (160)
- ► 2011 (179)
- "Why the fuck are you in this class?": a vitriolic...
- Beef Stock 2: The Quest for Purification
- Spice and herb madness in my kitchen:
- Fun with roasted garlic!
- FOR THE EMPEROR!
- Consomme, stock, demi-glace...
- Not Just Games
- Time for new glasses, need some advice
- Love for the CueCat
- You can take the boy out of the bookstore...
- Tibetan momo's?
- Achtung! Nacogdoches readers! I need your help!
- Haiku 4
- The First Power (1990) dir Robert Resnikoff Max P...
- Haiku 2 & 3
- My first haiku
- Birth of a Nation (1915) dir D.W. Griffith - Obser...
- "And quite clearly, he has gone insane."
- Dead Rising 2: Case Zero (2010) Capcom
- So with October pending...
- The Burrowers (2008) dir J.T. Petty & Amok Train (...
- Okay okay I know I promised but...
- Here's something for you Warhammer 40K fans:
- Making mashed potatoes at 9:25pm CST and I don't h...
- DragonCon 2010
- A pre-post of my DragonCon 2010 experience
- ▼ September (26)
- ► 2009 (142)
- ► 2008 (170)