Yours truly is in the initial stages of hunting for beef bones with which to make stock. If you know of a good meat market or have a dead cow laying around let me know.
"But Joshua, couldn't you just buy beef stock?" Yes. Yes, I could...but you see dear readers I am going to make phở from scratch, from the ground up. Canned or boxed stock is fine for stews but I've been sorely disappointed by the saltiness of most pre-made stocks (even low sodium stocks taste a bit off to me). So, in order to get quality broth (which is vital to a good bowl of phở) I need quality stock.
I plan to make a Southern Vietnamese styled phở, though once I gain some confidence (as well as gather some ingredients) I will attempt to master phở bắc (Hanoi style) and Bún bò Huế (Huế styled). I realize I should start with phở bắc because - according to most sources - phở was not widely known in southern Vietnam until the 1940s/50s. However, I feel most comfortable with my knowledge of Saigon style and flavour.
Any suggestions, comments, or tips & tricks are very much welcome.
Last night I cleaned out my misc quest queue except for a quest to fight a dragon in case someone comes over and wants to see me fight a dra...
You're probably wondering why I am doing a TV review post, or you might not be, *shrug*. As many of you regular readers may know (or RL...
One of our favorite scream queens here at HYR, Jamie Lee Curtis. Still one hell of a good looking woman, must be all that activia s...
Achtung! Spoilers! The long and short? If it hadn't been an addition to the Alien mythos it still would have been a very well poli...
Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (160)
- ► 2011 (179)
- "Why the fuck are you in this class?": a vitriolic...
- Beef Stock 2: The Quest for Purification
- Spice and herb madness in my kitchen:
- Fun with roasted garlic!
- FOR THE EMPEROR!
- Consomme, stock, demi-glace...
- Not Just Games
- Time for new glasses, need some advice
- Love for the CueCat
- You can take the boy out of the bookstore...
- Tibetan momo's?
- Achtung! Nacogdoches readers! I need your help!
- Haiku 4
- The First Power (1990) dir Robert Resnikoff Max P...
- Haiku 2 & 3
- My first haiku
- Birth of a Nation (1915) dir D.W. Griffith - Obser...
- "And quite clearly, he has gone insane."
- Dead Rising 2: Case Zero (2010) Capcom
- So with October pending...
- The Burrowers (2008) dir J.T. Petty & Amok Train (...
- Okay okay I know I promised but...
- Here's something for you Warhammer 40K fans:
- Making mashed potatoes at 9:25pm CST and I don't h...
- DragonCon 2010
- A pre-post of my DragonCon 2010 experience
- ▼ September (26)
- ► 2009 (142)
- ► 2008 (170)