Thursday, September 16, 2010

Achtung! Nacogdoches readers! I need your help!

Yours truly is in the initial stages of hunting for beef bones with which to make stock.  If you know of a good meat market or have a dead cow laying around let me know.


"But Joshua, couldn't you just buy beef stock?"  Yes.  Yes, I could...but you see dear readers I am going to make phở from scratch, from the ground up.  Canned or boxed stock is fine for stews but I've been sorely disappointed by the saltiness of most pre-made stocks (even low sodium stocks taste a bit off to me).  So, in order to get quality broth (which is vital to a good bowl of phở) I need quality stock.


I plan to make a Southern Vietnamese styled phở, though once I gain some confidence (as well as gather some ingredients) I will attempt to master phở bắc (Hanoi style) and Bún bò Huế (Huế styled).  I realize I should start with phở bắc because - according to most sources - phở was not widely known in southern Vietnam until the 1940s/50s.  However, I feel most comfortable with my knowledge of Saigon style and flavour.  


Any suggestions, comments, or tips & tricks are very much welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Did you try the meat market over by the taco stand? I don't know how good the place is, but it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. parrishdk4:16 PM

    You might check at Butcher Boys and some of the other meat markets/barbeque joints around town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't yet. I'm still in the recon stage. Good suggestion, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!