Despite my grumblies it was a great trip with great people. I got to spend some quality time with Amanda. I met some top notch individuals. We got fried duck dumplings at Hsu's. Watching Ryan negotiate crowds and groupies is a sight to behold. Heather looked stunning, even though her costumes nearly killed her. I got to meet Jennie Breeden of The Devil's Panties fame. She was super nice even though I fanboy'ed on her a little. I got to wear my white suit. The folks at the Waffle House Lincoln/Talladega were life savers on Sunday.
Things I learned about DragonCon and traveling in general:
- Buy new socks before you go.
- Airborne Zesty Orange tabs are meant to be dropped into water and not just jammed into your mouth.
- When traveling in the South, Waffle House is better than bad. It's good.
- I am going to travel with baby wipes and/or A&D ointment from now on. Why? Let's just say I'm chafed from all the walking and sweating...and not on my feet.
- Cash is king.
- If someone offers you "pie" say yes.
- The smoking area at the Hyatt is a vital rally point.
- Don't rely on the crappy map DragonCon provides. They couldn't even manage to put North on the map.
- Find a nice quiet place to hide away from the maddening crowd. Personally I like the Embassy Level at the Hyatt.
I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it right now. Expect one more post re: DragonCon (hopefully with pictures).