Wednesday, September 08, 2010

DragonCon 2010

I'm finally coming down from the adrenaline high that was DragonCon 2010.  My body thoroughly crashed and it was a miracle I managed to get out of bed today, though I had to call out of work (sorry guys).  People have been asking me how the experience was, what with it being my first time at DragonCon and all. Well, it was total mayhem.  Friday I drank too much.  Saturday I had a panic attack.  Sunday was a lot of fun but then we had to drive back to Texas - leaving Atlanta at 7pm.  There were waits in lines that lasted hours.  Our hotel room smelled vaguely of cat pee.  I was constantly sweaty.  I spent most of the weekend lost in either the Hyatt, the Marriott, or the Hilton.  One of my friends got heat stroke.  I didn't get to go to the aquarium.  All in all, it was totally awesome and I would do it again.

Despite my grumblies it was a great trip with great people.  I got to spend some quality time with Amanda.  I met some top notch individuals.  We got fried duck dumplings at Hsu's.  Watching Ryan negotiate crowds and groupies is a sight to behold.  Heather looked stunning, even though her costumes nearly killed her.  I got to meet Jennie Breeden of The Devil's Panties fame.  She was super nice even though I fanboy'ed on her a little.  I got to wear my white suit.  The folks at the Waffle House Lincoln/Talladega were life savers on Sunday.

Things I learned about DragonCon and traveling in general:
  • Buy new socks before you go.
  • Airborne Zesty Orange tabs are meant to be dropped into water and not just jammed into your mouth.
  • When traveling in the South, Waffle House is better than bad.  It's good.
  • I am going to travel with baby wipes and/or A&D ointment from now on.  Why?  Let's just say I'm chafed from all the walking and sweating...and not on my feet.
  • Cash is king.
  • If someone offers you "pie" say yes.
  • The smoking area at the Hyatt is a vital rally point.
  • Don't rely on the crappy map DragonCon provides.  They couldn't even manage to put North on the map.
  • Find a nice quiet place to hide away from the maddening crowd.  Personally I like the Embassy Level at the Hyatt.
I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it right now.  Expect one more post re: DragonCon (hopefully with pictures).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!