Thursday, September 09, 2010

So with October pending...

and October being the month to watch horror movies I thought I'd do a preliminary rundown (subject to change) of my ten favorite horror movies.

  1. John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) Dir. John Carpenter
  2. Night of the Living Dead (1968) Dir. George Romero
  3. Jaws (1975) Dir. Steven Spielberg
  4. Candyman (1992) Dir. Bernard Rose
  5. The 'burbs (1989) Dir. Joe Dante
  6. Ravenous (1999) Dir. Antonia Bird
  7. Carnival of Souls (1962) Dir. Herk Harvey
  8. Dog Soldiers (2002) Dir. Neil Marshall
  9. The Changeling (1980) Dir. Peter Medak
  10. The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen (2000 - original release 1973) Dir. William Friedkin 
These are open to debate but I'm basing this rough top ten on movies that I either watch regularly (i.e. Ravenous) or watch every once in a while because they still creep me out (i.e. Candyman).

What about you folks?  What are your tops?

5 comments:

  1. The Shining always scares me and the Ring freaked me out when I watched it alone one random afternoon not knowing what to expect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah7:44 PM

    John Carpenter's The Thing absolutely weirded me out when I saw it in middle school. I think that it was the only movie I've ever seen that gave me nightmares...

    Granted, I haven't watched it since then, but it was freaky when I was a kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like "The Shining" and I think it's brilliant - in my Top 25 - but not my Top 10.

    @ Sarah - "The Thing" is one of my favorites for so many reasons, in particular the effects are tangible. The director's cut DVD has a long series of interviews - the best of which are with Rob Bottin the FX man. I kind of hate CGI because it took out the random "How the fuck are we gonna make this work?" factor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chris - the first time I saw "Ringu" was on a bootleg of a bootleg on VHS. I was actually worried for my safety after watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, watching Ringu on a bootleg for the first time might have made me cry like a little girl.

    I caught some of The Hand that Rocks the Cradle today while working from home and had to turn it off. I know it's not traditional horror, but that scene where Rebecca De Morney starts beating the crap out of the bathroom stall made me want to run and hide.

    ReplyDelete

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!