Saturday, July 09, 2011

Witch House? What's that? Oh...


So an old friend of mine was in the East Texas region the other day and decided to stop by and see yours truly.  We were catching up on movies and pop culture and the like and he asked me if I had heard of the "Witch House" genre he had just heard about.  I said no and he described it as techno with a strong horror movie influence.  I was certainly intrigued so I quickly looked up "witch house" on teh youtubes.  Apparently these three bands are the main witch house bands (? maybe, IDFK).  In all honesty I started laughing.  It's just crappy dark wave that sounds like someone found it one their older brother's late 20th Century hard drive or stumbled across a promo CD of suck from Cleopatra Records, put it in a disc man and dropped it down a flight of stairs. 

Now don't get me wrong I like really well done darkwavy, ambient , cinematic soundscapes with a super ominous sound to it.  This stuff, well I guess I'm glad there are people still making this kind of music (at least it's not another fucking steampunk/pirate thing) but to call it it's own genre?  







No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!