Friday, March 21, 2008

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (2004) Jeff Lindsay

After watching several episodes of Dexter - starring Michael C. Hall - I decided I wanted to read the book that the series was initially based on. I eventually found a copy while wandering around the Hastings in Nacogdoches.

If you're not familiar with the show then I whole heartedly recommend watching it. CBS is showing it as part of their Sunday night programming. Basically the premise is that Dexter is a serial killer who works as a blood splatter expert for the Miami PD. His victims are only other serial killers or just plain bad folks. There's a great deal of humorous internal dialogue as he pretends to be a regular citizen. I like the side characters and am beginning to actually be interested in their stories. It's a good show.

The first Dexter novel - Darkly Dreaming Dexter - is not a bad crime novel. It's not a bad serial killer novel. The writing has a rapid fire pace that I appreciate. It's set in Miami and I get the feeling that if I was from Miami I recognize streets and places and the general feel of the place. Most of the events in this book I recognized from the first season I have watched so it wasn't very surprising. I pretty much enjoyed the book until the last quarter. I even read the last two chapter twices thinking that I missed something. Maybe I did because man, what a stupid cock-a-mamie ending. After I finished it I said, "Really?" I had to wonder if he actually had a good ending and his publisher made him change it. When "the twist" arrives you can almost hear the dun dun dun. I beat M. Night Shamalyan thought it was brilliant.

I hope the show doesn't continue to follow the book. If it this ends like Darkly Dreaming Dexter I won't be able to continue watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!