Friday, September 21, 2012

Me and Big Blue: Relearning bicycling week 1

Yeah, there are gonna be quite a few bike posts in the upcoming weeks and months (in case you couldn't have guessed from all the junk I've posted on FB).

This is gonna be a random recap of my first week back on a bike:

  • Starting off with a heartfelt "I hope you get throat chlamydia!" to the SUV full of hey bros who made absurd barking noises at me when I was biking home during my first solo night ride.  I didn't wipe out (thank god) and got home safe.
    • Lesson learned, fuck a bunch of Pearl St at night, even if it is only for a block.
  • Nacogdoches has a shit ton of hills, not great big bolshy yarblocko hills (well some) but these sudden increases in gradient that look deceptively flatish (and would be fine on foot) but all on a bike I'm suddenly swearing and sweating and ready to punch baby kitten Jesus in the face.
    • Trying to bike up to the video game store on the North side of town yesterday was a friggin nightmare.  I gave up about two-thirds of the way there and turned around.  On the upside the return trip was pure coasting.   
  • In the last week I think I've traveled about twenty-five miles hither and thither. Very rough estimate, figuring four miles downtown and back and assorted wandering.  I know it doesn't seem like much to the big kid cyclers but for someone who just walked to campus and home, it's kind of a big deal.
  • I've already felt my posture improve, if only because I need to sit up straight because slumping over at the computer kind of hurts.
    • That being said I'm on the verge of starting to figure out how to exercise at home.  Maybe I'll just start powerlifting Moxie.
    • "How to" stretching videos with yoga/bike ladies are not for children.
  • I hate my school bag.  It burns, it freezes.  It's un-fucking-comfortable.  Good thing I'm lucky enough to have crafty friends who can help me DIY panniers.
  • I need to have my head measured for a helmet.  Considering I found the most apropos helmet (and I need to get a helmet) who's got a cloth tape measure?
  • I named my bike "Big Blue" in part because it's a big blue bike and in part that was the name of my Voidwalker in WoW (seems like a million years ago since I pissed about with that game).
  • Fuck this, I'm gonna go ride.
I hope that all of you are well and in good spirits.

p.s. Don't forget about the design contest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!