Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Calling all designers, artists, and admen...adwomen...adpeople...

A few weeks ago I started tinkering around with some design ideas for business cards on vistaprint but haven't been able to come up with something I really dig.  None of my sketches or photo collection really has anything workable either.

The reason I want something to distribute is because I want to start getting my name out for spice blends and cooking/catering.  My lack of marketing material really hit home this last Saturday when I was out biking with a friend and a photographer stopped me and asked if she could borrow my bike for a bridal shoot (which I did).  As I was standing there I said to my friend, "Fuck, if only I had some cards."  The next evening I went back to vistaprint and poked it with a stick but nothing really worked.  Then I realized I know a slew of excellent artists who could probably come up with something far more awesome than I could.  So I have decided to hold a design contest with either a $50 cash or trade prize.  If you're local it'll be a really fancy meal or I'll Magic Mike you.  If you're not local I'll send you spice mixes in pretty packaging or some such frippery.

Additionally I will fully promote - and support - your site and your work on hooliganyouth.com (if I don't already) and mad props will be given.  Like Caesar entering Rome props.

I'm not sure how contests work but I have a general idea.  First entry guidelines:

  • Deadline: October 31, 2012 
    • All are welcome to participate.
  • Submissions must be sent to my email address (if you don't have it, hit me up on www.facebook.com/hooliganyouth)
    • Clearly marked in the address line: Hooligan Youth Contest Submission
    • In a high res format.
  • Submissions must be:
    • Original designs
    • Safe For Work (I don't want to scare the squares)
    • In keeping with the "Hooligan Youth" style - that is, no "Wild Style" graffiti-esque designs, nothing stuffed shirt, nothing Euro-trash, nothing "hipster", nothing anime, nothing Steampunk, and nothing too abstract (stylized is awesome but oblique is not).  If you're unfamiliar with the site or the "Hooligan Youth" ethos let me know, I'd be more than happy to fill you in.
    • Submissions should be ready to print upon selection.  
Parameters:
  • I'm looking for a design that will look as good on a business card as it will on a 5"x3" oval sticker or a product label.  Truth be told I'm leaning more towards an oval sticker than a business card for marketing - mainly because I want something to slap on my bike and be all, y'know like awesome and stuff.
  • I will take up to two designs from each entrant.  One is cool.  Three is not.  
Preferred style:
  • A sharp design.  Classic with just the right amount of panache combined with some punk rock/Two-Tone sensibility.  If you know me then you know what I'm looking for.
After October 31, 2012:
  • Once I have gotten all the submissions in order I will post all of the designs on this site as well as facebook.com/hooliganyouth.
    • Throughout November, with the help from you fine folks voting/liking/commenting, I will narrow it down to three selections.
    • Thanksgiving Weekend I will post the final three for a vote, get drunk, and play the hell out of Borderlands 2.
    • The Monday after Thanksgiving Weekend, I will post a winner on hooliganyouth.com as well as the winner's preferred social media site.
Achtung!
  • Don't try to coerce your friends/coworkers/pawpaw and meemaw to vote for you.  I can see your friends list and this ain't selling candy bars in elementary school.
  • If you don't like someone's design, don't fucking troll.  I like to think I know good people who wouldn't do this but this is the internet so I have to make this caveat:
    • You troll or act like a dick - you're taking a walk down wash-out lane.
  • Don't be afraid to send something out-of-left field.  This is why I'm allowing two entries per person.  

And there we go.  It's not rocket surgery, well apparently it is because if it wasn't that difficult I could have done this myself.  I look forward to hearing from you folks and seeing what you bring to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!