Thursday, January 13, 2011

Capital's war against WikiLeaks - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

Capital's war against WikiLeaks - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

I jokingly say, "You can't stop the signal." but I've been trying to keep up and catch up with Assange's trials and tribulations. I admit that I have never been to the site and in some regards I feel apprehensive about visiting WikiLeaks because I don't want anything negative to go on my permanent record. Again I joke but isn't freedom of information one of the basic tenets (am I using the right word/concept correctly?) of the World Wide Web? I know how naive that statement is and maybe I rely too much on my nostalgic feelings for cyberpunk. However (and I might sound like a conspiracy nut) doesn't the amount of international muscle being brought to bear on Assange mean that he and his site/sources/etc are simply right? Assange isn't the homeless lady on M Street in DC who bore signs declaring that the CIA killed her son or some tinfoil hat wearing nutcase camped out at Roswell, hell there's not even a hint of Alex Jones in what I've been reading about Assange and his site.

As with other topics I need to educate myself further and more extensively but the entire WikiLeaks debacle fascinates and frightens me. While I don't subscribe to NWO Black Helicopter theories I do worry about the concepts of freedom of information (a vague concept at best I am not educated enough to speak further on) on the Net because how am I supposed to educate myself? How am I supposed to answer/address/explore questions and issues I have if I don't have access to information? Nevermind that I am never going to do anything with that knowledge and frankly I'm too self-centered and worried about paying rent and worried about passing Spanish III and most of my internet time is spent pissing away hours on FB apps but for some reason I also deeply worry about being able to find information freely. I worry about logging into or subscribing to certain sites. I worry about writing about certain topics and issues on this site. I might get on my soapbox from time to time and time again but ultimately I don't want a knock on the door from a suit holding my internet history. Or maybe I'm just being narcissistic and paranoid and gutless. Or maybe the nebulous "they" have won, turning my worries into silence.

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!