Monday, May 04, 2009

The People Under the Stairs (1991) Dir. Wes Craven

I don't know when the last time you watched The People Under the Stairs was but it might be time to watch it again. The last time I saw it - probably when it came out on VHS - it kind of weirded me out. Watching it now there's a lot of bizarre stuff going on in the movie. Everett McGill running around in full bondage gear with a shotgun is particularly odd. Everett McGill is one of my favorite, "hey it's that guy" actors. From Dune and Silver Bullet to his role as Big Ed Hurley in Twin Peaks he's just been a solid actor in whatever movie/tv show he's in.

The People Under the Stairs is not a good movie but it is enjoyable and if you can get past the fact that it's a Wes Craven movie - be honest, he only has four "good" movies. Personally I think Parents is a much better suburban cannibal movie.

edit:

Parents is unavailable on DVD. It was released but was discontinued. That needs to be remedied.

2 comments:

  1. Darpino10:36 AM

    "Parents" is available on HULU to stream for free. It was the first movie I ever streamed.

    http://www.hulu.com/parents

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't know what HULU is though I have heard it spoken of many times.

    ReplyDelete

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!