Thursday, August 02, 2007

We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

I picked up a copy of We Need to Talk About Kevin at work the other day. It's the story of a high school mass murderer told from his mother's perspective via letters to her ex-husband/killer's father. Wether the letters are meant for the father to read doesn't really seem to matter much.

It's not a bad book or poorly written and has made me consider the fallout of school tragedies in a way I hadn't considered before. That being said I don't think that it's particularly good. It just hasn't particularly grabbed me. This might be because I have no real point of reference with the character - a middle aged woman teetering on the breaking point of sanity. The writing gets a bit dense at times. There are moments when I've reached the end of the page and I realize that I haven't listened to a single thing that the character has said.

I'll give it another fifty pages or so or until I find something I want to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!