- Three large chicken bone in breasts (they were on sale)
- A couple of chunks of salt pork (or thick cut bacon)
- One white onion chopped
- A teaspoon of thyme
- A punch of black pepper (fresh)
- A punch of sea salt (or kosher)
- Two cups of chicken stock
- teaspoon of chile powder (cayanne will be fine)
Chop the onion and salt pork and brown in a cast iron or oven safe sautee pan. Add thyme, salt, pepper. Preheat oven to 400. Add chicken breast up, on the bone. Cook for about half an hour.
- small can of V8
- can of corn
- a cup of water
- a cup of sauce the chicken and everything cooked in
- a half dozen leftover small corn muffins
- one more chopped onion
- a chopped tomato
- a minced Serrano
Shred the chicken, peel off the skin. Put the shredded chicken in a casserole or oven safe pan. Mix in everything wet. When that's done crumble up the corn muffins and put on the top of the goop. Put everything in the oven again.
p.s. if you have cheese you can add that too.
A great tip for slow cooking on a Sunday: Time your cooking around doing the laundry. Kill two birds with one stone, right? Each cycle of the washer is about 20-30 minutes and the dryer is 45-60 minutes. Tada!