Thursday, October 08, 2009
Abstract: A Brief Examination of Chillies in Pre-Columbian Societies
I intend to explore the cultural history of capsicum before 1492. Much of my preliminary research has involved secondary sources from a wide range of disciplines. Most of these sources deal with the dissemination of capsicum after 1492. Certainly this makes for a fascinating story but ignores thousands of years of pre-Columbian history and culture. Pre-Columbian societies used capsicum not only as victual or condiment but also as; a medicine with a wide range of curative properties, a monetary unit, a punishment for children, an integral part of religious ceremonies, and in some cases part of their creation myths. My primary focus will be centered upon pre-Columbian uses of capsicum not only in mythos and religious practices but the plant’s influence on customs and superstitions as well. Like maize, capsicum played a major role in many aspects of pre-Columbian life, from fertility practices to ritualized cannibalism.
Last night I cleaned out my misc quest queue except for a quest to fight a dragon in case someone comes over and wants to see me fight a dra...
You're probably wondering why I am doing a TV review post, or you might not be, *shrug*. As many of you regular readers may know (or RL...
One of our favorite scream queens here at HYR, Jamie Lee Curtis. Still one hell of a good looking woman, must be all that activia s...
HYR poster TiNK asked me if I would help cook for her mother's birthday so I said, "Yeah, sure." I wanted to something reall...
Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (160)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (133)
- Borderlands trick.
- Other things I like about "Borderlands" and other ...
- Borderlands (2009) First Impressions
- Brutal Legend (2009) Campaign complete review
- Update on the 2009 Holiday Spice Mix.
- Bhut Jolokia, the "ghost chile", the Dorset Naga, ...
- The Tale of Hephaistos (Fiction)
- Trick 'r Treat (2008) Dir. Michael Dougherty
- Sunday dinner: Casserole that you'll actually want...
- House of the Devil (2009) Dir. Ti West
- Abstract: A Brief Examination of Chillies in Pre-C...
- Upcoming reviews and assorted good stuff!
- Brutal Legend (2009)
- ▼ October (13)
- ► 2008 (170)