Thursday, March 29, 2007

Oprah's Book Club.

As a long time bookseller I have a love/ahte relationship with the Oprah Book Club. On one hand I think it's a great thing that she's getting people to read and to read outside their comfort zone - c'mon Grapes of Wrath? Who's gonna just pick that up? On the other hand I can't stand the cult of Oprah and her slack jawed middle aged minions. Hey, you work retail you get sick of being asked the same questions over and over again by the same mouth breathing State employees.

I was sent the news this morning that Oprah's newest Book Club pick is Cormac McCarthy's The Road. More peculiar than that is the fact that Cormac McCarthy is going to appear on her show - his first television appearance(?!?).

I'm very perplexed by this piece of news. A thoroughly depressing post-apocalyptic father & son tale as an Oprah pick. Huh. I'd honestly be really interested in seeing the interview and and hearing what her legions have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!