Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Defamation (2008) Dir. Yoav Shamir

I love a documentary that makes me confused in an intellectual way.  Yoav Shamir's Defamation is one such documentary.  Mr. Shamir is an Israeli man who made a documentary about global anti-Semitism and it gets a lot more complicated than that.  A lot more complicated.  A lot more fucking complicated.  Crown Heights complicated.  American Jewish way vs Israeli Jewish way complicated.  Varying opinions of Judaism, left and right Israeli views...complicated.  "Self-hating" (?) Jewish academics who are pro-Palestine.

What I love(?) about this documentary is Shamir talks to people from Abe Foxman (head of the ADL) to Rabbi Hecht to talking about Anti-Zionism vs Anti-Semitism.  Granted, Shamir might be an Israeli Michael Moore, but as an leftie-American I seem to trust foreign views of America more than I trust American views of America and I trust non-American views of history a little more than Ken Burns specials.

Defamation is a difficult documentary to process.  I wholeheartedly recommend this docu.

Now I'm gonna watch Dan Akroyd's docu about UFOs.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, would like to have a word with you around Yoav Shamir's new film - 10% - What Makes A Hero? More info @ http://www.indiegogo.com/10-Percent-Movie but could I please contact you privately in this regard? Thanks. Tali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tali - Sumimasen and apologies for the epic delay in response. I'd be more than happy to chat. Drop me a line - HYR is on twitter and FB.

    Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!