Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot and the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned are the current DLC for Borderlands - the sci-fi RPG/FPS from Gearbox Software that I happen to enjoy the shit out of. For DLC I have to say that most of the time I feel like the content is hit or miss or maybe I just have a weird concept of DLC.
That being said, I had these sitting on the back burner until I got home from the holidays and I needed something to play. I kicked it off with Zombie Island and had a grand time of blasting the living dead. I liked the level design and the zombies were actually a threat until I worked out the right combo of weapons with which to make them dead...undead...for reals this time. An assault rifle with an incendiary mod worked really nicely. I also got a good deal of play time out of Zombie Island - about eight or nine hours in one go. I got my money's worth, hit the level cap, and added a few more firearms to the collection. Very nicely done, oh and the humor in the level is awesomely punny.
Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot is on one hand totally wicked hella awesome arena combat. On the other hand it is a hateful, gruelling Death March of suffering. Mad Moxxi DLC is a cruel and vengeful bitch, three arenas, each with five rounds of combat...however each round is comprised of five waves of enemies of increasing difficulty. Add to that, at higer levels a random effect comes into play - sometimes good and sometimes profanity inducing. Once you are thoroughly castigated by these rounds but manage to complete them a new challenge awaits...twenty rounds. I've gotten to the twenty round part but haven't made it past round six. Oh and if you die you get penalized a level. If you leave to change weapons, tough tittie, you're starting over.
Some reviewers are whining about MMUR being too hard or there's no reward because of the level cap or the wah wah wah. To those reviewers I say: time to put on your big girl panties. Video games have gotten soft in some respects. Do you rememeber when you only had three lives and if you died at the end you had to go all the way back to the beginning? Or you had to have futuristic Mentat skills (pre-leet ergo no zed) in order to complete some games? I've never met anyone who fully 100% completed NES Gauntlet and if someone said they did I probably wouldn't believe them. One reviewer complained there were no achievements...well, too fucking bad, how about pride in one's own self?
So if you're not a crybaby and enjoy arena battle royale get this now.
Friday, January 08, 2010
Last night I cleaned out my misc quest queue except for a quest to fight a dragon in case someone comes over and wants to see me fight a dra...
You're probably wondering why I am doing a TV review post, or you might not be, *shrug*. As many of you regular readers may know (or RL...
One of our favorite scream queens here at HYR, Jamie Lee Curtis. Still one hell of a good looking woman, must be all that activia s...
Achtung! Spoilers! The long and short? If it hadn't been an addition to the Alien mythos it still would have been a very well poli...
Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (160)
- ► 2011 (179)
- Mass Effect 2 (2010) Bioware, XBOX 360: First Impr...
- Metro 2033 Story Trailer = AWESOME!
- Hooligan Youth: new and improved Rogue/Ranger in D...
- Dragon Age: Origins tips and tricks (mild spoilers...
- Darksiders (2010) - Vigil Games
- Sherlock Holmes (2009) Dir. Guy Ritchie
- Dragon Age: Origins Return to Ostagar XBOX 360 DLC...
- Level Caps: Yay or nay? I say Yay.
- I declare a moratorium on:
- Franklyn (2008) Dir Gerald McMorrow
- The Rhyming Chef is one of my favorites.
- Sunday Cooking: A long and involved recipe involvi...
- Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot & the Zomb...
- Robocop...I still love you.
- RPGS: thoughts, comments, pipe dreams (plus a repo...
- Hooligan Youth Reviews kind of sort of favorite/be...
- Okay...looks like Blogger is having technical diff...
- Dragon Age: Origins "Return to Ostagar" delayed an...
- Land of the Lost (2009) Dir. Brad Silberling
- Avatar (2009) Dir. James Cameron
- Bayonetta & Dante's Inferno Demo reviews
- Assassin's Creed II (2009)
- ▼ January (22)
- ► 2009 (142)
- ► 2008 (170)