I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much from 30 Days of Night. I read Steve Niles' first graphic novel with that title - I think there a slew of them out now. It was a solid vampire tale with a great story and amazing art work. Maybe saying that I wasn't expecting much from the screen adaptation is incorrect - I was expecting it to mirror the graphic novel. It did.
It's been a couple of years since I read 30 Days of Night and didn't remember much so the movie wasn't completely spoiled - well we saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse but more on that later. The acting was fine, there were a couple of tense scares, the vampires were pretty scary looking actually and not mince mince sissy vampires, there was minimal use of humor, there was some satisfying gore, and all in all it worked. It was kind of nice to see a vampire movie that didn't try to reinvent the genre or sex it up or make it all "cool" like Blade or Underworld.
Pretty much if you're going to see 30 Days of Night you've either already seen it or are waiting for it to come out on DVD. I enjoyed it but would have rather seen American Gangster.
The Alamo Drafthouse is not the place to see a horror movie if you actually want to watch and enjoy it. It may be all well and good to see The Monster Squad or whatever dreck Tarantino is passing off as art and have some drinks and dinner and have a good time but God forbid you actually want to watch a movie in peace and quiet. This is why I go to matinees.
Last night I cleaned out my misc quest queue except for a quest to fight a dragon in case someone comes over and wants to see me fight a dra...
You're probably wondering why I am doing a TV review post, or you might not be, *shrug*. As many of you regular readers may know (or RL...
One of our favorite scream queens here at HYR, Jamie Lee Curtis. Still one hell of a good looking woman, must be all that activia s...
Achtung! Spoilers! The long and short? If it hadn't been an addition to the Alien mythos it still would have been a very well poli...
Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!
- ► 2013 (36)
- ► 2012 (160)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (133)
- ► 2009 (142)
- ► 2008 (170)
- The Mist (2007) dir. Frank Darabont
- Because I love you all so very much...
- Hitman (2007) dir. Xavier Gens
- Thanksgiving, Signature Pork, Mass Effect, and an ...
- Happy Preemptive Thanksgiving Airstrike!
- Assassin's Creed, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, and Fres...
- Something totally inappropriate that amuses me.
- "I have seen shit that would turn you white."
- "Time to get your crayons and your pencils!"
- 30 Days of Night (2007)
- Hedgehogs make me happy.
- "At the sound of the whip, turn the page."
- Macbeth (2006) and Knights of the Old Republic (20...
- Marky Mark = Max Payne?!?
- COD4: Modern Warfare review continued...sort of......
- COD4: Modern Warfare, assorted news, and another C...
- More remake silliness!
- "There was a fish in the perk-a-lator!"
- Prey (XBOX360)
- Yo Jo...oh I don't care anymore.
- Manhunt 2 - Initial Impressions.
- Condemned (11/15/05)
- A new X-Files movie and Scarlett Johansson.
- Joss Whedon prepares for heart string tuggin' & mo...
- ▼ November (24)