"But when a stronger man than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armor wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils." - Luke 11:22 King James Bible
Since I've been on vacation I've been putting an absurd amount of time in EVE - even by my standards - but most of my efforts have been leaning towards perfecting drone and armor skills. Gameplay has consisted of transport runs, spending a large amount of time docked, trading and making "Rules of Acquisition" jokes in my head, and carebearing the living shit out of L4 missions.
When on combat missions I try to adhere to a checklist that I've developed over the last few months. Simple stuff really:
- always have an escape plan, preferably more than one
- align, align, align
- only commit to combat when I have tactical advantage
- I tend to rely on range and speed. With my current skills and gear I have an effective combat range of over 120km (which puts me well out of range of 75% of the NPCs I come across) and can juice my Ishtar up to 599m/s
- I only "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!" aka launch attack drones when I have tanked the aggro. No sense in letting my expensive drones get whomped on for no reason.
- I still strongly adhere to my own rule of "cap stability above all else". This is part of the reason I lean towards a passive armor tank. If I can run all the equipment I have without having to run out of juice or keeping an eye on cap during combat.
- Minimize risk, maximize reward. Rule of Acquisition #125 "You can't make a deal if you're dead." Screw that "Fortune favors the bold" malarkey.
- Never go AFK when you're undocked. Okay, I'll take a pee or grab a beer while in warp. Sometimes.
- "The problem isn't that you're paranoid. It's that you're not paranoid enough."
- Never rely on gear when skills would suit you better.
|"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer."|
So why my new concern about battlegear and having to rework some of my approaches to combat? Primarily because of my near loss but secondly because I recently broke down and purchased a Dominix. She's actually not as ugly as I thought she was gonna be but she handles like a box of turds with four broken shopping cart wheels. If I had been in the Domi when I got short-range jumped I would have lost an expensive ship. She just doesn't handle well and her speed is garbage. However, she's a monster tank. I've read some shop talk about how tough she is and can weather a huge amount of punishment. That being said, I don't trust her as my battlegear. Then again, I've been truckin around in a HAC for at least six months and feel really comfortable in cruisers and maybe it's time to shake myself up and try something new.
Another downside to the Domi, and a core issue that's keeping me from moving to the BS, is the painful (nearly pathetic) target lock time she has - against all ships. It must be similar to the differences between the Enterprise and the Defiant. Frankly, the Ishtar is a far superior drone boat, considering bonuses, speed, smaller signature, base resistances suck, etc. etc. etc. However, I like taking the Domi out for a spin because she's such a big moosey and she can really be a jack of all trades. She can effectively tank while drones dish out the DPS and run salvage in combat. Not the capabilities of a Marauder but still...
I'm continuing work on my Domi and if I get her to where I feel I trust her I'll post a fit here. Hope all of you are well. Fly safe. o7