Sunday, August 12, 2012

In The Electric Mist (2009) dir Bertrand Tavernier

I ended up watching this movie on a fluke, mostly because it had Tommy Lee Jones and John Goodman on the cover.  I'm glad I did.

Turns out, though this was a straight to DVD, that it was an adaptation of James Lee Burke novel and had an excellent cast, a brilliant score by Marco Beltrami (whose work I had been doubting since he got big), and very solid camera work.

It makes sense that In The Electric Mist wasn't a theater film.  Frankly, it almost wouldn't work in the theater - at least in the way theater films are now.  It really is, as Burke's novels are; a sultry, filthy, coon ass noir film.  And it ain't The Big Easy (1986) - though that is an excellent example of American 80s erotic thriller.

Jone's Dave Robicheaux does service to the books.  Then again, it's hard not link Mr. Jones with tired vigilance and justice these days.  However, he surprised me with his level of honest violence (even after The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - which is one of the best fuckin movies I have ever seen).  Honest violence may sound trite, what with me bein' a pacifist and all, but sometimes people need to have an ass-kicking.  There's probably something smarter I could say here...

I don't feel that it is John Goodman's best role (I reserve that for Barton Fink), in fact he could have played more the villain, but then again, the story wasn't about that.

Well worth watching, if you have the patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!