Friday, March 11, 2011

Torchlight (2010) - Relic Games

Lately I've been totally impressed by XBOX Arcade titles.  For a price point that ranges from $5-$15 and gameplay that is satifying I can't be upset (especially when big name titles debut at $60 and DLC basically means BOHICA - I'm looking at you Bioware).

Relic's Torchlight came out to decent reviews on the PC but since I'm not a hardcore PC gamer I didn't pay much attention.  The XBOX Arcade port came out this week and I have to say I am glad I plunked down the 1200 MS Points for the whole game.

Torchlight is at its core a dungeon crawler, smash the enemy, loot hoarding, Diablo clone and it does it well.  It's single player (which is kind of a shame because this game would lend itself well to some Gauntlet-esque action), the graphics are solid, the gameplay is solid, the gear is awesome, the controls are really simple once you figure out the mapping, and the game is fun.  Yes fun and actually has some interesting features I haven't seen in an RPG before, like a competent pet - that not only acts like a pack mule but you can send to town to sell loot, equip with spells and items, and you can trust to "Smitty" you (Smitty is my term for when the AI does retarded shit, get stuck on walls, disappears randomly, runs into friendly fire, pretends it's Leroy Jenkins, or generally acts like a Teapartier).

So far so good, I am looking forward to playing some more and getting more of that precious looty.

2 comments:

  1. Seems to be a very nice game. I will try it, even if i like to play only online games.
    If it is a good game, then it`s ok to play it in single player. Thanks for your review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. It is a good game and I'm on a third character - so far my favorite - the female rogue. I tried the brawler and I'm not normally a tank/brawler kind of player so that alt fell flat on his face. The alchemist is good but a little overpowered in his abilities to summon hordes of minions (I also grew a little bored of just summoning and healing minions in combat).

    The rogue has the ability to summon traps of varying powers (a favorite of mine -no pun intended- in any game) and create bottlenecks and ambushes. I also boosted her abilities with dual wielding pistols (what's better than a gun? two guns!).

    I hope an expansion comes out which allows multiplayer but for a single player game of this quality at this price "Torchlight" takes the cake.

    Best wishes and good gaming!

    ReplyDelete

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!