Tuesday, March 01, 2011

NEStalgia - the 8bit MMO

NEStalgia is my newest gaming addiction.  This title from indie Silk Games is:

"an original MORPG inspired by the glory days of traditional console RPGs. Essentially "Dragon Warrior 3 meets World of Warcraft", NEStalgia is an amalgam of the best generations of RPG gaming."

I gave the game a quick run yesterday afternoon after reading a post on Quarter Past Qwerty (a nice gaming blog) and after about fifteen minutes subscribed.  It's a free game but a yearly subscription is only $9.00 and comes with all kinds of perks so I figured why not?  Hours later I had gotten some really enjoyable game time in, met some nice people, and went to bed with the game music in my head.

The folks at Silk Games have really put their love of the "classic" NES RPG into this game from monster design to dialogue (some of which is really damned funny and funnier if you're familiar with the tropes) to music to pretty much damned everything.  The MMO aspect comes in to play with co-op PvE.  Form a three member party and tackle challenges that are damned near impossible to solo.  I haven't died this much in a RPG since...well...it's been a long time.  When you die in battle you rez at the closest town minus half your gold.  With limited inventory space you can't just load up on 99 heal potions and go.  Boss fights can turn fatal very quickly.  There's no buying gold with RL money, no power levelling, or any of the nonsense people have grown accustomed to over the last decade.  And I love it.

NEStalgia reminds me that creative ingenuity and a designer's love of the game make up for most of the bells and whistles and shiny crap that is slapped on so many modern games.  I wholeheartedly recommend this title (especially to my fellow NES generationers who grew up on FF I-IV, the Dragon Warrior series, and other lesser known classics.

I'm currently on the Imrit server - toons Hooligan and my alt Nunzilla.  I'll be on most evenings.  Hope to see you guys soon.  Now I have to think of something else because the theme song is in my head and making me want to skip class to play.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:16 AM

    Nice review. This game is wonderful for us old school gamers :).

    Server: Golbez
    Ch: Kranwel

    ReplyDelete

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!