Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Exile (2007) dir. Johnnie To

It's been awhile since I sat down and watched a Hong Kong (HK) bullet drama that wasn't Bullet in the Head or Better Tomorrow II. Since I'm kind of going beserk with downloading stuff on Netflix and catching up on a stack of movies I figured I might as well try Johnnie To's Exile. Okay so a big selling point for me was Simon Yam - an HK actor I've loved since Bullet in the Head.

Exile is not a masterpiece of HK cinema - however it hits all the right marks and is a genuinely enjoyable experience. The cast is solid, the story is familiar, the directing and gun battles are all sharp. Let's put it this way, if you're hankering for an HK fix then watch Exile. If you could care less about HK movies then don't bother.



No comments:

Post a Comment

generated by sloganizer.net

Greatest Hits

Blog Archive (s) It's like a Wayback Machine!